1. Peel the potatoes and place in cold salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce potatoes to a simmer; cook until tender. Make sure you don’t overcook them.
2. Drain and dry potatoes briefly in a 350°F convection oven.
3. Pass through a food mill while still hot and spread out on a granite countertop until cool. Weigh the potatoes.
4. Make a well with the potatoes, surrounded by half of the flour. Sprinkle salt, pepper, nutmeg, herbs, and Parmesan over potatoes. Whisk eggs together with olive oil, and place in middle of the well. Use one hand to mix in the center and the other to slowly add ingredients from the outside.
5. Knead the dough until ingredients are incorporated. The mixture may not need all of the flour. Do not overwork. Cut into pieces and roll out on floured surface.
6. Test by cooking a few gnocchi in boiling water. Drop the gnocchi in water; when they float for 10 seconds, remove, shock and check for consistency. When satisfactory, cut and shape remaining gnocchi. Use enough flour to ensure that the gnocchi do not stick together. Cook, shock, drain and toss the gnocchi with olive oil.
1. Blanch basil until tender, shock and squeeze out water
2. Blend with remaining ingredients
3. Season to taste
4. Scoop onto bowl and place gnocchi on top